Welcome, 2017. May you be full of love, laughter and light.
I have a list of things that I want to do this year. It’s not comprehensive. There are doubtless things I’m leaving out. A year is a long time.
But this is what’s on my mind this first day of a new year:
- Write daily.
- Create beautiful things.
- Read more. So much more.
- Be more content with what I have, long less for what I don’t.
- Drink less.
- Give more.
- Cultivate elegance. (By that I mean emote less.)
- Be kinder and more patient, particularly with those I love.
- Stop assuming I know what anyone else is thinking.
- Budget properly and stick to it.
- Keep my apartment cleaner.
- Pay off credit cards.
- Take art classes.
- Make more decisions based on my principles rather than my current mood.
- Dismiss any thought that my life is passing by too quickly.
- Remember it’s almost always about the journey, not the destination.
- Cultivate serenity.
- Delegate more.
- Find ways to positively influence young people (especially those who will be old enough to vote in 2020.)
- Embrace activism that helps mitigate the effects of the political winter to come.
- Sleep more.
- Run a half marathon.
- Redesign my apartment.
- Be more grateful.
- Shine light into the darkness.
- Call my sister.